Reunited & It Feels So Good

Reunited & It Feels So Good

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Hate is such a strong word, but as a kid what did I hate about pop culture?


This is such a challenging topic to blog on but after much thought I finally found something to write about.  However before I dive in, I have to echo many of my fellow bloggers thoughts about hate.  AGREE, AGREE, AGREE!! We must have all been raised by very thoughtful, strong mothers.  I know without a doubt that my mother’s teachings shaped me into the Social Worker I am proud to be.  I fight the impact of hate every single day as I guide hurt children and families to forgiveness, and healing.
I strongly dislike the hate that many pop culture icons and pastimes have had to endure.  For example Magic the Gathering has faced received criticism from many religious groups because certain cards referred to demonic creatures and symbols.  In 1981, Mazes and Monsters tells a story about a young man who experiences a psychotic episode and loses touch with reality while playing a D&D type role-playing game.  Bothered About Dungeons & Dragons (BADD) was a group founded by Patricia Pulling who felt her son’s suicide was influenced by a curse put on him by playing Dungeon and Dragons.  "Should a Christian Play Dungeons & Dragons?" 2001 and "Straight Talk on Dungeons and Dragons" 1989 were essays written by Bill Schnoebelen (a former Satanic priest) who felt that D & D challenges morality and Christianity.  Finally, who hasn’t had their morality beat down after reading Harry Potter. 
Oh well.  What do I know?  Please check out my fellow League Members blogs;

 

No comments:

Post a Comment