Reunited & It Feels So Good

Reunited & It Feels So Good

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Gencon Day One; Let the Madness Begin.......

It's hard to sleep the night before as its like being a child on the night before Christmas.  "What new games and toys will I see?" 

Every year I try something new and this year is no different as there are over 12,000 events to choose from. Gencon began as a gathering of friends (Gary Gygax) who shared a love of playing Dungeon and Dragons and it has grown into the largest gaming convention in North America. Needless to say, RPGs are at the heart of Gencon and while I enjoy them, I rarely have the time needed to invest in playing them. So this year I signed up for four sessions. Day one began with an 8am game called "Do, Pilgrims of the Flying Temple." Pilgrims are flying monks who like to help others but often get them selves into trouble. Our game was to same Melanie who's house was swallowed by a flying whale.  It is a family friendly story telling game that can be played in an hour.

The dealer hall which is my focal point of day one opens each year at 10 am after a ceremonial roll of a huge pair of d6s. Then a huge heard of people rush (not run) into an enormous hall where almost 400 dealers are waiting to take their money.  My first stop this year was the Privateer Press booth as I was anxious to purchase a new deck building card game set in the War Machine universe.


Gencon is a larger than life experience!




An interesting new game by Queen as it has a new game mechanic but I'm a little concerned about the replay ability. It was called "Via Appia."


The finally came to an end with back-to-back games of Fiasco, Our Best Hope (think Bruce Willis & the movie Apocalypse,) and Are you a Werewolf. I died in all three games! There is always Gencon day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment